[vorbis-dev] use of 'long' in vorbis structures

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Wed May 21 17:03:03 PDT 2003

> I'm going to call your BS on this, on Alpha and likely many other 64 bit
> platforms sizeof(long) = 8 and sizeof(int) = 4. And as 64-bit becomes
> more and more prevalent you will see this more often. Not to argue or
> anything, just trying to edumacate here :-)

My mistake.  Haven't built any code on an alpha in about seven years, guess
I forgot that detail.

But if I recall correctly, up until a few years ago the SGI Irix systems
(which is the 64-bit OS I'm most familiar with) we used still had 32-bit
longs.

IRIX Release 6.3 IP32 zazu
Copyright 1987-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
zazu:/bork/etherton>> cat sizeof.c
int main() { return sizeof(long); }
zazu:/bork/etherton>> cc -S sizeof.c
zazu:/bork/etherton>> cat sizeof.s