[vorbis-dev] mdct_backward with fused muladd?

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Tue May 20 19:11:03 PDT 2003

David Etherton <etherton at rockstarsandiego.com> said:

> > If this is because of the memory usage of the luts, you may be interested
> in
> > looking at the Tremor 'lowmem-branch' branch, out of cvs. It uses (I'm
> told,
> > I haven't tried it myself) about an order of magnitude less memory
> > (heap+stack). That's at a cost of marginally higher cpu usage (10-15%?),
> but
> > that might be a worthwhile tradeoff on a console.
>
> Anybody know what the typical memory usage is per stereo (48khz) stream,
> either with or without this patch?  Several hundred kilobytes or are we
> talking megabytes?

Normal decoder: on the order of (depending on bitrate, encoder version, etc.)
300-500 kB. With the tremor lowmem-branch version: around 30 kB, I believe
(for things encoded with 1.0, at least).

Obviously, this is all per-decoder, if you have two files being decoded
simultaneously, none of this is shared.

Mike