[vorbis-dev] use of 'long' in vorbis structures

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Wed May 21 17:06:44 PDT 2003

> This is not true. For instance, on most (I'd suspect 'all', but I don't
know)
> 64 bit systems, a long is 64 bits, but an int remains 32 bit.

Not on versions of Irix I used a few years ago, mostly to avoid breaking a
bunch of old code.  I don't have any alphas or sparcs to test on right now.

I would argue that that makes it all the more reason to change the public
interface, so it's well-defined instead of platform-dependent.  Also, I'd
suspect that those platforms didn't have 64-bit integer dividers either,
just like the SGI, which means they'd incur a software call as well.

But clearly the correct answer here is for me to track down who's causing
the long/long divides by grepping the output assembly and fix those few
cases instead of screwing with the entire codebase.  Guess I need to re-get
from cvs and reapply my own patches...

-Dave