[vorbis-dev] use of 'long' in vorbis structures

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Wed May 21 16:44:32 PDT 2003

>  I doubt it's something we want to accept into mainline-cvs, but perhaps
we
> could set up a branch for weird-ps2-optimisations, if other people are
going
> to find this useful? long being software-emulated is very weird, I dobut
many
> other platforms do that - and since many of the longs are in the public
API,
> we couldn't change them for the normal version anyway.

Since on every other modern sane platform out there sizeof(long)=sizeof(int)
anyway wouldn't this be a fairly clean change?

Nuking all of the longs from the codebase made it about 10% faster for me on
PS2, although if I could figure out the one magic place that was using longs
for integer division that would certainly be less intrusive.  At first I
thought it might be window.c, but that wasn't it.

-Dave