[vorbis-dev] Clean separation of encode and decode?

Jack Moffitt jack at xiph.org
Wed May 21 10:46:12 PDT 2003

> Perhaps a cleaner way to patch this in without introducing a bunch of new files would be add something like
>
> #ifndef DECODE_ONLY
>
> to the appropriate places (either around the entire file or around the relevant functions).  I can probably work this out well enough, but if I wanted to submit my patches back to the maintainer are there any preferences on the symbol name?  I'd rather use #ifndef instead of #ifdef for obvious reasons -- everything will still work as before.

I don't think this is a good choice.  Because you'll end up with
libvorbis that can encode/decode and libvorbis that can only decode, and
it will end up causing confusion.  If we wanted to do this, we'd really
need to separate stuff into two libs.  libvorbisdec and libvorbisenc.

You mentioned platform issues being the impetus here...  any reason you
can't just use tremor instead of libvorbis?  Afaik, the API is the same,
and it is quite portable C IIRC.

jack.