[vorbis-dev] Please help me!!

Hannes hannes.guddat at igd.fhg.de
Sun Mar 9 15:26:05 PST 2003

Hi,

relax, audio isn't so hard to understand at all. At least not the WAV-File thingy.
Here's a good overview on that:
    http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/wave.htm

WAV-Files were designed to carry sample-based codecs like PCM(which isn't codec just a sample representation), A/u-law (which compresses 12-bit audio to 8 bit via a logarithmic scale) or ADPCM (which uses linear prediction to reduce data rate). All these formats deliver data on a sample basis (one PCM sample in-one XY-sample out - no such thing as audio blocks). Vorbis for example, like other powerful codecs with a high compression rate need to gather data in block, process them, and put them in a file. Which couldn't be an original wav-file, because it doesn't support blocks.

The "frame"-concept within wav-files has been introduced for multichannel storage and comprises (quote)
 "..The sample points that are meant to be "played" (ie, sent to a DAC) simultaneously (. They ) are collectively called a sample frame.." so for stereo you alternatingly store the samples of left and right channel that belong to together, for 5.1 audio you have to store groups of 6 samples each sample clock and so on..

Hope this helped - if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Maybe not all questions should go over this list, as it was rather established for vorbis-internal discussions..

Bye,
  Hannes

//
//    we apologize for the inconvenience
//
//    Hannes Guddat
//    Fraunhofer IGD - Department Communication and Cooperation
//    Fraunhoferstraße 5
//    64283 Darmstadt
//    GERMANY
//