[vorbis-dev] lossless ogg encoding with good compression rate

Christian Hack christianh at pdd.edmi.com.au
Wed Jun 25 18:01:36 PDT 2003

I think you mean C.wav not B.wav

> 5) bzip2 the D.tmp [D.tmp.bz2]
> 6) keep B.ogg and D.tmp.bz2 (the size will be around 17% of
> the original for each file)

Very interesting way to do it, but if you're only getting around %35 and
FLAC is getting around %48 then why reinvent the wheel.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your numbers. Are you talking a percentage
of original size OR percentage of original size saved. If it's the
former read on. If it's the latter ignore the rest of this message.

Have you encoded with FLAC on the source you are using? I have found the
FLAC compression estimates seem a little optimistic for a lot of my
stuff. I get more like %66 of the original size (in your terms %33
compression?)

Either way, there's probably more CPU required than simply decoding an
OGG since you have to do decode the OGG, bunzip the diff AND apply the
diff...

My 2c....

CH