[vorbis-dev] Calling for 5.1 Mastering experience! (vorbis ambisonics and 5.1)

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Fri Jun 13 08:08:28 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 04:19 am, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> I'd like to think that users of surround Vorbis (including people who
> are
> listening to content transcoded from 5.1 sources) will *not* be
> listening
> on speakers configured per the dolby 5.1 specs but rather listening on
> an
> (likely irregular) Ambisonic array sized according to their needs and
> resources. Because of this, I'm slightly more concerned with
> compatiblity
> with such setups than absoultly perfect mirror of the mix intent.

That's probably reasonable. In north america at least, 5.1 setups are
being pushed really hard for DVD-based home theatre, so a lot of people
will have 5 speakers (usually three of them particularly crappy) and a
subwoofer. But they're not especially well placed in the general case.
:)

> I haven't done testing to determine how well I'm really representing
> 5.1
> yet as doing so will require me setting up a proper 5.1 speaker system
> which seems horribly boring compared to my 14 channel ambisonic rig.

Let me know how it turns out. I was expecting you'd need 6 or 7
ambisonic channels because of resolution 5.1 concentrates on the screen
area.

  -r