[vorbis-dev] Normalization of ogg vorbis file

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Mon Jun 2 18:02:58 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 04:37, John Morton wrote:

> Use replaygain[1], or specifically vorbisgain[2]. It will calculate gain
> values that you can apply to a given file to bring it's volume in line with a
> reference volume, and store that information in a vorbiscomment field
> in the vorbis file. If you run vorbisgain over all of your vorbis encoded
> music and then play them in a player that's replaygain capable (winamp,
> xmms), they will all come out at a similar volume.

Beware: off-topic shameless self-promotion follows.

If you don't want to re-encode or mess with the Vorbis file, you need to
do the normalization at playback time.  ReplayGain leaves headers in the
file so the player will do this, but the gain change is song-wide.

VLevel <http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> does this in real time, making
the quiet parts louder.  It looks ahead a few seconds, so it won't clip
sudden loud sounds, and the dynamic contrast is preserved.

It currently works as both a command line filter and a LADSPA plugin.
This means that with some scripting, you can convert files with it, and
it will work with any LADSPA server, including XMMS and many Linux audio
editors.

I currently don't have a web page for it, but this is one of my summer
projects, and will hopefully become more active soon.  I'm also going to
work on getting the XMMS LADSPA plugin more usable, and port VLevel to
any other plugin architectures people ask for.

Take a look,

--
Tom Felker

Life is like an analogy.