[vorbis-dev] Vorbis packet sizes

John Ripley jripley at rioaudio.com
Wed Jun 4 10:54:07 PDT 2003

As an optimisation to reading Ogg encapsulated files, I've been thinking
about a strategy of reading entire packets out of the stream, and sending
them to the decoder. This has the advantages that:

* The packet is just a linear array of bits in memory, with length known in
advance.
* The routine which gets bits out of the packet is then trivial and possibly
inlined.
* There is no possibility of blocking reads in the middle of a packet.

However, I'm not sure what the upper bound of packet size is. I see there's
a "4KB rule of thumb" mentioned in the spec, but does this apply to every
packet? Even so, 4KB is still rather large, and I haven't seen packet sizes
that large in any file generated by oggenc 1.0.

Is there even a maximum?

- John Ripley