[vorbis-dev] Xiph Magic

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Fri Jul 18 15:54:34 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:06:29AM +0100, Tom Hargreaves wrote:

> I've seen what you call "native" vorbis files in the wild. Try running
> "mplayer -dumpaudio" on an ogg sometime...
>
> Nonetheless, it might be potentially useful to be able to recognise
> such raw files, as they might be produced by accident (e.g. as
> mplayer does above).

I guess it's a bit of a philosophical problem of whether you recognise
only permissable file types or whether you show an understanding of
what the file is supposed to be.  I would tend to the former for fear
of sanctioning rogue files as legitimate.  (But I also feel that files
should be able to exist independantly of anything in which you may wish
to wrapper them.)

> PS. During the course of my experiments I came up with the following
> one-liner for stripping the Ogg layer (and I can confirm that it
> produces valid FLAC files from ogg-flacs):
>
> perl -0777lpe'BEGIN{$/="OggS"}s/.{22}(.)//s,s/.{@{[ord$1]}}//s'

Thanks for this.

John