[vorbis-dev] Xiph Magic

Michael Smith msmith at xiph.org
Thu Jul 17 18:31:21 PDT 2003

> In theory, it is possible to decode an incomplete Vorbis packet and
> still render some sort of audio output. In a Vorbis packet, the order
> of information is sorted according to importance, so if the last
> part of a Vorbis packet is missing, the decoder could be (according
> to the spec probably should be) able to produce audio output with
> minial distortion.
>
> In the normal case (and I am quite sure, that the common players
> would fail playing a properly Ogg-framed Vorbis stream with incomplete
> packets), the packets are complete and the decoder is able to determine
> the end of a packet without relying on the Ogg framing.

Untrue. "incomplete" packets are, in fact, quite common. Managed bitrate
streams are essentially just (intelligently) truncated packets. All players
should support this fine - it's a spec requirement, and it's implemented
correctly by libvorbis.

"Standalone" raw vorbis packets simply aren't correctly decodable.

Mike