[vorbis-dev] Xiph Magic

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Jul 17 00:35:12 PDT 2003

J C Fitzgerald wrote on 2003-07-16:

> Hi Folks,
>
> FWIW I figured out the /etc/magic file entries for both native and Ogg
> wrappered Speex, Vorbis and FLAC (attached).  YMMV because the fields
> aren't necessarily in fixed positions in the files, but it works fine
> for me.  Feel free to include it in the Xiph archives or forward it to
> the /etc/magic file maintainer once you're satisfied with it.

There is already a detailed Vorbis entry, distributed with the latest
file(1) versions.  There are no Flac and Speex entries, thanks for the
effort.  I just wonder what is "Native Vorbis" and "Native Speex"?
It seems that you are detecting standalone Vorbis/Speex packets with
no wrapper whatsoever.  The problem is that such a thing is
undecodable - you need some way to mark the packet boundaries.  So no
such beasts exist.  Flac does exist outside of Ogg but it uses its own
framing then.

If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And if it itches, why not now?  [With apologies to Hilel ;]