[vorbis-dev] .ogg extentions

Jack Angel man at oceanography.ru
Tue Jul 15 13:00:09 PDT 2003

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:05:54 +0000
"Chris Cox" <coxy_yxoc at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I may be considered old fashioned in the way i see things but i do not
> understand why the .ogg format should be mass introduced! I've only just
> heard of it and it does seem odd. I got a .ogg file but i cannot find any
> software to play it! Windows media doesnt like it and when i used the web to
> find a application that runs it using windows, nothing was found so, since
> you are very knowledgable on the subject of .ogg file extensions, would it
> be possible to convert the file to .avi or .mpeg at least until software to
> play it is mass-distributed.
> It does sound a little stupid to release a new file extension if no program
> understands it

Excuse my rudeness, but this mailing list is not for jerks.
For windows, there's at least winamp plug-in, and winamp is the
most used player. The fact dumb microsoft don't have decoder for ogg
doesn't imply ogg sucks - in fact, it implies that microsoft sucks.
As for you, your skills with web doesn't seem too high if you were unable
to find any player application. Should work on yourself, man.

But your point is taken - if there're such people like you, it may be really
stupid to release a new file extension to *some* people.

--
The human knowledge belongs to the world