[vorbis-dev] streaming FAQ

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.net
Thu Jan 30 19:46:03 PST 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 23:33, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Graham Mitchell wrote:
> > Q: How do I limit the bitrate to absolutely, positively no more than X
> > kbps, even for a millisecond, starting with source material at 44.1
> > KHz/16 bit stereo?
>
> There is no such thing as instantaneous bitrate; bitrate is an average
> number of bits over a certain time period.  Compare with "temperature".

Good point.  I guess the rub comes when someone has a really short idea of "a
certain time period."  With managed modes, if we cap at, say, 45 kbps, then
that'll be the maximum average over how long?  Two seconds?  500ms?

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"I come into His presence simply.  No illusions, no masks, no excuses.  He