[vorbis-dev] PlusV algorithm

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Wed Jan 29 05:48:52 PST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 05:55, Rany . wrote:
> Important (imho)!
> I found this site in the internet:
>
> http://www.plusv.org/
>
> PlusV is an audio enhancement algorithm similar to SRB of Mp3Pro, but
> 1) better than SBR
> 2) Fully open-source
>
> It seems to me wise to include PlusV into new versions of Ogg Vorbis.

As Lourens has pointed out already, this has been discussed in October
2002, and Monty decided that it's not worth including.

I would also like to add that PlusV is patented technology, and their
royalty-free patent license is incompatible with Xiph's licenses. See
http://www.plusv.org/patent-license.php

> P.S. what about some long-awaited features in Ogg Vorbis?
> 1) ability to turn off the frequency filter in the encoder (especially for high bitrates)

Other front ends may not have this option, but at least with oggenc you
can set the lowpass filter cutoff however high you want. If you set it
high enough, the filter is effectively disabled.

Hope this helps,

Carsten Haese