[vorbis-dev] Re: Ogg Internet Drafts - create application/ogg-vorbis, application/ogg-tarkin, etc.

David Wheeler dwheeler at ida.org
Mon Jan 13 06:33:03 PST 2003

How, then, is an application supposed to use a MIME type?

The #1 use of a MIME type is to launch an application to process
the data.  If the MIME type doesn't include information on the
container format, then the application won't know what to do with
the result.

Possibly a better approach would be the use of MIME parameters
to indicate the codec, e.g.,
  audio/ogg,code=vorbis

But the problem is that very few MIME processing applications
(e.g., web browsers and file viewers) give you the kind of control
to actually invoke the right thing.

--

--- David A. Wheeler
     dwheeler at ida.org