[vorbis-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: Ogg Internet Drafts - create application/ogg-vorbis, application/ogg-tarkin, etc.

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Fri Jan 3 23:33:11 PST 2003

At 3:06 PM +1100 1/4/03, Conrad Parker wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 05:21:47PM -0600, Chris Hanson wrote:
>  > Ogg has always appeared to me to correspond only to the _track media_
>  > and _sample_ layers of a QuickTime movie.  So you still need to know
>>  what all the CODECs are and how to use them individually to
>>  manipulate what should be general data in the file.  Please, somebody
>>  correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>yep, Ogg is only intended to be a container format. Monty's done a damn
>good job of separating that bit of functionality from everything else,
>which is why Ogg is so easy to pick up and use for new purposes.

The QuickTime movie format is also intended as a container format and
is also very easy to pick up and use for new purposes.

And many of these "new" purposes aren't "new" - if you add a Speex
CODEC to QuickTime, you can add a Speex track media to any audio
track.  Nobody else's code has to know about Speex, it just works.[1]

How hard would it be to add this final layer of abstraction to Ogg
(in a backwards-compatible fashion of course)?

   -- Chris

[1] Modulo any bugs in QuickTime like the ones in QuickTime 6 that
caused some problems for the Ogg Vorbis CODEC of course.

--
Chris Hanson, bDistributed.com, Inc.  |  Email: cmh at bDistributed.com
Custom Application Development        |  Phone: +1-847-372-3955
http://bdistributed.com/Articles/     |  Personal Email: cmh at mac.com