[vorbis-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: Ogg Internet Drafts - create application/ogg-vorbis, application/ogg-tarkin, etc.

Ross Vandegrift ross at willow.seitz.com
Thu Jan 2 11:45:44 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 11:53:45AM -0500, Carsten Haese wrote:
> The way I imagine
> it, there's no added complexity for the user at all. I imagine a very
> thin application that the user won't even have to see. That application
> would peek into the Ogg file, and determine which application to launch
> to handle the file. It could even have a reasonable default
> configuration, like launch the default audio player for Vorbis and the
> default video player for Theora, so the user won't have to do anything
> beyond installing it.

What happens when I write my super-duper-vorbis player application?  How
do I get my app registered as a handler for Vorbis files with your
"peeker" program?  Or as a user, I download someone else's
awesome-tarkin program and I want to use it instead of anything else.
Every shim-type program that I've ever used are frustratingly limited in
what you can make them do with applications they weren't designed with.

> As I explained above, the user won't see the generic tool. It is a thin,
> transparent layer that directs the file to the appropriate (specific)
> application.

I think such an application is also a pipe dream - many others have
tried and failed.  The multiple mime types approach is much more
sure-fire.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at willow.seitz.com

A Pope has a Water Cannon.                               It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it.                        It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it.                                 It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it.          It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced.                It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official.       It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive.                                       He shoots them.