[vorbis-dev] Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, Ogg FLAC

P Oscar Boykin boykin at pobox.com
Thu Jan 30 09:00:53 PST 2003

First of all,

let me say that I don't know the current library very well.  But what I
would like to see libraries all support the same interface for dealing
with packets taken from an ogg file.

So, you could look into the ogg file, see what type of packets it has.
Using only that information, try to load a plugin to handle them, which
will make use of one interface.

In this way, all players that use speex, vorbis, flac, theora....  can
look into the ogg, get the type of that packet, load the decoder plugin,
and start sending that plugin packets.

I know Monty is supposedly working on a more unified framework.  Perhaps
this is what he is doing now?

Oscar.