[vorbis-dev] album cover art in .ogg?

Michael Makuch mkm at muzikbrowzer.com
Wed Jan 29 14:12:48 PST 2003

I've added ogg support to my player app. Now I'd like to be able
to write/read album cover art (jpg, png, what ever) out of the ogg file
and display it, as I do with mp3s.

This assumes that an album cover art picture can reside inside of
an ogg file. I've read through the vorbis.com/faq.psp as well as the
list
archives and haven't
found any direct answers. The section on comments clearly says that
pictures don't belong in the comments. Yet this Q/A on the faq
leads me on;

Can I bundle Vorbis and another media type (like text lyrics or
pictures) in the same file?
Yes. The Ogg container format was designed to allow different media
types to be multiplexed together. In the future, Ogg movies will most
likely consist of a Vorbis audio track and a video track (using Tarkin,
VP3 or some other video codec) inside of a single Ogg file. Some
preliminary work has been done to put MNG and MIDI content into Ogg
files as well. Experimental code is available in the ogg-tools module in
the Xiph.org CVS repository. Programmers working on such extensions can
discuss issues and questions on the vorbis-dev mailing list.

What is the status of being able to store a picture, just a static
picture, i.e. album cover art not animation nor movie, in an ogg file?

How does one do it? Pointers to specs/doc/code are appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael