[vorbis-dev] PlusV algorithm

Rany . rany74 at mail.ru
Wed Jan 29 08:07:14 PST 2003

Well, I've seen the old discussion about the SBR, and I don't agree that Ogg is comparable to Mp3Pro. Ogg easily beats Mp3Pro at medium and high bitrates. But Mp3Pro is FAR better at low bitrates <=64 kbps. All benchmarks say that Mp3Pro is the very best codec for such bitrates.

What is Mp3Pro? It is Mp3 for low frequencies + SBR for high ones. Ogg (better than Mp3) for low frequencies + PlusV (better than SBR) for high frequencies - might be the best codec for lower bitrates too. Sounds cool, doesn't it?

> oggenc --managed with -m and -M

Thank you.

> So, why do you want to set the lowpass, as it's very high

Strangely. Then why the benchmark says: "And now look at the OGG at 350 Kbit - it cuts frequencies even at the level of 16 KHz." Is this true?

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/oggvslame/

Regards.