[vorbis-dev] SIMD instructions

Felix von Leitner felix-vorbis at fefe.de
Thu Jan 23 15:04:59 PST 2003

Vorbis does not appear to use any SIMD instructions.

A short look around in the source code indicates that it would be
possible and might even yield big performance improvements.  Why has
nobody done it yet?

I am currently trying to learn using these instructions and would be
willing to rewrite a few functions in SIMD instructions, if I understand
how to vectorize them and if they make a difference performance-wise.

I recently got myself a VIA C3 chip because it can be used fanlessly,
but the down side is that just playing a Vorbis stream takes about 10%
CPU time.  It would be beneficial if that could be sped up a little.

So my question at this point is: which functions need more performance
the worst.  I find that splitting the packages makes profiling more of a
hassle, but I will do it, if there are no good profiling data.

Felix