[vorbis-dev]Newbie question

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Jan 17 14:28:11 PST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 08:39:34AM -0800, SwiftBiscuit wrote:
> This sounds an interesting proposal.
> Are you aware that replay gain information is stored
> as comment fields in Ogg Vorbis files?
> Perhaps a similar approach could be taken to EQ
> settings?

*Please* use a local, personal metadata database in your application
to do these things.  The EQ you like has more to do with your system,
your equipment and *you* than it does with the track, and therefore
belongs in a personal database.

Putting this information in the comment tags is possible, but an abuse
of the intent of that spec.  You'll only end up with your own
application supporting it anyway, why not add that support to your
application, and not cram it into the Vorbis 'spec'?

Think 'iTunes'.  Where all these settings are by song and *by user*.

If I downloaded some file that was full of someone else's settings,
the first thing I'd do is undo them anyway.  The proper EQ of my
system has nothing to do with the proper EQ of yours.

Monty