[vorbis-dev] VorbisFile library crashs.

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Sun Jan 5 16:06:23 PST 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 05:47:10PM -0500, Yuri Gulyaev wrote:
> There is a problem with the VorbisFile library. It only works when I open an
> OGG file for
> the 1st time.

You're most likely calling 'fclose()' on the first file handle.
Please check this before anything else.  In case you missed this point
in the library documentation, after handing off a FILE * to a
successful call of ov_open, your application must not touch that FILE *
for any reason.  Libvorbisfile will close it for you.

> After I closed the file and try to open another one or the
> same it crashs. It seems it applies to the use of either ov_open or ov_test
> functions or their combination.
> I wrote a test app that illustrates the bug. It crashs with a message
> "Unmapped memory exception". It's available at
> http://home.earthlink.net/~yurigulyaev/oggvorbisproject32.sit.hqx

Although I appreciate the time you took to make an example program, I
have no tools available to unarchive a .sit.hqx Mac file (there are no
tools to do so on Linux).  Secondly, a debugger backtrace is more
useful when submitting an initial bug report, although both an example
and a backtrace together is naturally best of all.

Without the backtrace and because I cannot read your source, you've
not yet demonstrated evidence that the bug is in the vorbis libs.

> >From what I read on the net I see that this bug exists on other platforms
> too.

You see other people having different problems.

Monty