[vorbis-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: Ogg Internet Drafts - create application/ogg-vorbis, application/ogg-tarkin, etc.

Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au
Fri Jan 3 04:49:38 PST 2003

Hi all,

let me summarise what I've learnt from the discussion and hope to
progress us towards a comprehensive MIME typing scheme that makes
everybody happy.

1) "application/ogg":
On the one hand, we should have the generic MIME type "application/ogg"
and the generic file extension ".ogg" for anything that uses the Ogg
container format. I guess for the moment there is no generic application
that can handle all existing defined ogg media mappings (such as
ogg-speex, ogg-vorbis, ogg-theora). But that can of course be built and
then we are on a line with Quicktime, Microsoft media player and
RealPlayer.

Those three by the way can understand several MIME types, e.g. Quicktime
understands "video/quicktime" but also things like "audio/aiff",
"audio/wav", "audio/midi", "video/avi", "audio/mpeg", and "video/mpeg".
One word of caution here, though: while those three each try to dominate
the market with their application and do not want others to use their
container format, Ogg is open and many people have started picking up
the Ogg container format for their encoding format by only having to
define a media mapping. Therefore, it will be difficult to maintain a
generic application that will be able to interprete any random Ogg file,
because the Ogg container by itself does not know what kind of data it
carries.

2) encoded bitstreams:
On the other hand, we have several different types of encoder formats
that may need to be generically identified:
"video/vp3"
"audio/vorbis"
"audio/speex"
would identify just the encoded bitstream independent of the container.
I am not sure if these are necessary, but maybe somebody has an idea for
a use of it.

3) Ogg as container:
As a level in between, we should identify a valid Ogg bitstream
containing one or more encoded bitstreams together with their defined
media mapping:
"video/ogg-theora"
"audio/ogg-vorbis"
"audio/ogg-speex"

4) Other containers:
In a similar manner, encoded bitstreams in different container formats
would need a different MIME type again, e.g. using RTP as a container
format:
"video/rtp-theora"
"audio/rtp-vorbis"
"audio/rtp-speex"

COMMENT:
I read that there are efforts under way with the IETF to register
"audio/speex" for speex over RTP
(http://www.speex.org/drafts/draft-herlein-speex-rtp-profile-05.txt)
which is not conform to this proposal. How far is that progressed?

would recommend to have different file extensions for each of the
defined Ogg media mappings ogg-theora, ogg-vorbis and ogg-speex. My
reasoning is that it makes it easier for programs to map from the file
extension to the MIME type and from there to the application to use
without having to look inside the file. My check of MIME types also
found that mostly a MIME type maps to many file extensions, but one file
extension belongs mostly to one MIME type only. I believe that for speex
a distinct extension ".spx" is already in use. Any takes?

tarkin before. They are of course distinct and once tarkin works it can
follow the same proposed scheme above.

Cheers,

Silvia.