[vorbis-dev] Re: Ogg Internet Drafts - create application/ogg-vorbis, application/ogg-tarkin, etc.

Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au
Thu Jan 2 02:47:44 PST 2003

Dear David,

I hope it's ok to forward your email to the developer lists. I have not
seen a comprehensive scheme for MIME type naming and file extensions for
ogg files yet - please anybody put me in the picture if there is.

However, I have seen application/x-ogg used for ogg-vorbis files, which
is according to MIME type registration rules an unregistered and
experimental MIME type (see RFC2048) and seems to have worked so far for
ogg-based files. I understand your issues on having application/ogg as
an all-encompassing MIME type, as ogg by itself cannot determine the
further type of content included. Therefore your idea about having more
specific MIME types makes sense.

Yet, I don't believe that application/ogg-tarkin or
application/ogg-vorbis should be chosen, as "application/" to me flags
that the content of the file can only be determined by an application
that can read this specific type of file. In my opinion, vorbis should
be audio/ogg-vorbis because vorbis itself is an encoding format that
makes sense in containers only, such as ogg or rtp. Tarkin on the other
hand is a combination of vorbis and VP3 plus a media mapping onto ogg
such that video/tarkin might make sense, though would not be logical to
the outside world.

As for file extensions - I've seen theora files also end in .ogg .

Cheers,

Silvia.