[vorbis-dev] libvorbis on Classic MacOS

Timothy Wayper timmy at wunderbear.com
Thu Feb 6 17:41:21 PST 2003

> OK. I know exactly what the problem is now, and it's pretty weird.
> pow() returns completely bogus results when called from res0_look().
> For example, pow(8.0, 2.0) returns 64.0 from anywhere else (including
> before or after in _vds_shared_init()), but from anywhere in
> res0_look() it appears to return 7.10152e-295. Everything else looks
> perfect. Sigh. This looks like a weird-arse compiler problem...

After much struggle, the problem turned out to be really simple. Forget
my accusation of pow(), that turned out to be a debugging problem, but
that problem gave me a clue as to the real error:

rint() is provided by the standard classic MacOS mathlib, but the
prototype is in fp.h, not math.h! (Remember, rint() is non-standard).
Because of this, the code was assuming rint returned an int, and ended
up using a garbage value.

I thought I had fixed this, but it turned out I'd only fixed it for
vorbisfile (which I'd built separately). A quick change to os.h was all
that was required. The thing this re-enforces for me is always to turn
on "require function prototypes", even on classic-C code like
libvorbis. Oh well, live and learn :-)

Anyway, if anyone else ever needs to build under MPW/MrC, I now have
makefiles and diffs...

Cheers,
Tim Wayper