[vorbis-dev] application/ogg is a proposed Internet standard.

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Tue Feb 4 17:05:01 PST 2003

Ralph Giles wrote:

> Right. I think Segher has not been convincing here. He does have a point
> about long-latency access, but the only way I see a jump table being
> helpful is an external chapter pointer file, a la DVD video. If you're

That's what I was suggesting; it's the normal way to do a TOC.
It doesn't have to be in a seperate _physical_ stream, of course,
and it could be an (optional) header in a logical stream, but that's
all just details.

> going to have pointers, that can include byte offsets as easily as time
> offsets. That's a different class of problem from seeking because the
> table is short.

Table size is just a tradeoff.

>>> For quite a few applications, synchronizing everything to some 48kHz
>>> or 44.1kHz audio clock may be good enough, and that is of course the
>>> prefered way to tie a video stream to an audio stream for playback, but
>>> it certainly is not the correct solution for all applications.
>
> Right, it's nice, but it's the player's job (or the demux library's)
> precisely because of the 'quite a few applications' part.

You're missing the point; the stream format should make it easy
(or possible, at least) for the library to do a good, efficient
job of it.