AW: AW: [vorbis-dev] PlusV algorithm -> CBR

Hannes hannes.guddat at igd.fhg.de
Sun Feb 2 07:44:12 PST 2003

Hi,

good conclusion, exactly to the point. I think, everyone here can live with a VBR codec, if at least you can make sure that within a certain window Y (be it seconds, or bytes of coded output) my desired datarate X is not exceeded. Which brings my to the next point..

> Nobody seems to want to say what they actually MEAN by "CBR".

Jup, I apologize on my part, as I titled my initial question "CBR". As stated above, I am just looking for a codec interface that can guarantee a maximum datarate X every (smallest possible) interval Y. Smallest possible, because datarate control adds up on the codec latency (in multiples, presumably). CBR, for me, is a rather hard restriction on a codec, which do not intend to force on vorbis, once I have a reliable upper boundary for bitrate. If I'd really like to fill my channel to a given datarate (why would I, for streaming?) I can still fill the packets with zeros, or whatever. For my part is says: "the less, the better, I just need consistency in time"

> Mike

Hannes

> --- >8 ----
> 'vorbis-dev-request at xiph.org'
> containing only the word 'unsubscribe' in the body.  No
> subject is needed.

// we apologize for the inconvenience
//
// Hannes Guddat