[vorbis-dev] Status of thread-safeness of libvorbis?

Ronald Bos bosr at natlab.research.philips.com
Fri Feb 7 00:09:03 PST 2003

I have spent quite some hours in the archives of this mailinglist and read a
few threads mainly by Jeff Squyres and Monty about making oggenc
multithreaded. Those threads all are dated around January 2001, quite a time
ago.
For my work experience period I have to implement a parallel (threaded) ogg
encoder (If this is possible, of course.) If it can be done, the code will
be given back to the community.

I have already done some profiling on oggenc and found out that >98% of the
cpu time is spent in the call tree under vorbis_analysis (in encode.c). This
point was also mentioned at that time.

Now my question is: how is the current state of thread-safeness of
vorbis_analysis? Has anyone else had succes or failures in creating a
threaded ogg encoder?

Greetings,

Ronald Bos
 Philips Research Laboratories --  Building WDC
 Prof. Holstlaan 4
 5656 AA Eindhoven
 The Netherlands

 Phone:  +31-40-27 43077