[vorbis-dev] vorbis on playstation 2

David Etherton etherton at rockstarsandiego.com
Thu Feb 6 19:24:42 PST 2003

> If the IOP goes unused otherwise, running a 3x slower Vorbis
> decoder on the IOP is still faster :)

It's not useful if the IOP isn't fast enough to decode in realtime.  We
actually abuse the IOP moreso than most people -- we mix three or four 48Khz
ADPCM streams entirely in software to avoid poaching the meager 48 sound
voices.

But perhaps if I drop down to 24Khz samples and get very careful with my
cache usage it may be doable.  It should would make it an easier sell for
the rest of the company knowing that we don't have to give up any precious
EE cycles.

-Dave