[vorbis-dev] libvorbis on Classic MacOS

Timothy Wayper timmy at wunderbear.com
Wed Feb 5 20:04:11 PST 2003

Hi all,

Those of you uninterested in classic MacOS as a target will probably
want to skip this email. I'm revisiting this platform, trying to get
music going for the game I'm working on. We're obviously using
OggVorbis on the other platforms we support (osx, linux, win32).

The problem is that our classic MacOS build is currently under MPW/MrC.
I can compile libogg/libvorbis fine (requires enabling the intrinsic
alloca support), but there seems to be a problem with the code
produced. As soon as real decode work starts, res2_inverse() dies
because the decodemap it attempts to use has completely bogus values
(so partword[l][k] is garbage, and the code faults on lookup into the
secondstages array). I've been working on debugging this for a day or
so, but I haven't found where it's actually screwing up. The
optimization level makes not difference, which is strange. Presumably,
this is a problem with the MrC compiler (which is unfortunate,
generally it's code generation is very good!), so I'm planning to shell
out some bucks for a CodeWarrior seat just so I can build this library.

I guess my real question is simply "does the Metrowerks compiler build
libogg/libvorbis on this platform correctly?". The libraries that
"ship" in the classic MacOS Vorbis SDK are toast, which doesn't inspire
confidence, but it looks like perhaps it's just some kind of export
configuration problem. Is there anyone out there who can confirm
Metrowerks builds the code properly? That will make me feel a bit
better about paying for a new build environment :-P Otherwise, there's
a chance the problem may be platform specific, and I'll spend a little
more time hunting it.

Cheers,
Tim Wayper