[vorbis-dev] ogg_sync_state with discontinuous codecs

Arc arc at indymedia.org
Wed Dec 3 10:56:07 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:06:18AM -0800, Aaron Colwell wrote:
> It also doesn't easily handle sparse or discontinuous media like Arc
> says. I'm just interested in why this design decision was made.

I'd like to point out that discontinuous refers to "overlapping".  I
believe that sparse (ie, a MNG video frame every minute) codecs can use
the same rules as continuous bitstreams.  This condition of needing to
change the rules (if nothing more than the coders' sanities) only needs
to apply to bitstreams where packets overlap in the time they cover.

I guess another way of saying it would be to call it "non-sequential" or
"non-serial".  Whereas the granules covered by audio and video packets
are end to end, that is, you can expect the first granule of the next
page to be the granulepos of the last + 1.  When they overlap we have a
problem with, well, having to make all sort of extra things as far as
muxing goes.. for instance, the codec would actually have to be process
it's bitstreams to tell a muxer the start location, since without this
change, the granulepos would be the last granule for which it's valid
(it's expiration time), and what do you do when the next page starts
the one which expires before it (and thus has a lower granulepos)?