[vorbis-dev] Bride of vorbisfile questions

Paul Martin pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 15:36:08 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:42:34PM -0600, Graham Mitchell wrote:

> Personally I use Vorbis in a radio station-like environment, where I'm
> randomly choosing dozens of single tracks every hour from a hard drive full
> of 1883 songs on 149 albums (all but four of which I personally own, BTW).
> This is easy with perl and shell and ogg123, and would be much harder if
> each album were a single file.

Me too, except that I have some legacy MP3s, and perl's only used for
scheduling (trying to solve the napsack problem) nowadays. Threaded C
is used for playout and mixing. Bringing the news in is a separate set
of processes.

Yes, it's a radio station jukebox waiting for a radio station.

I've also got icecast2 working on another sound card with a simulated
mixing desk output. The streams produced have track titles (not quite
synchronised with the music, as there are crossfades and buffering).
The -q1 16kHz stream could be used as a station log, if I could work
out how to get icecast2 to close and reopen the stream.

--
Paul Martin <pm at zetnet.net> (work)
  <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> (home)