[vorbis-dev] Bride of vorbisfile questions

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Wed Dec 17 20:42:34 PST 2003

> Treating a collection of logical streams as separate tracks makes captured
> streams much more useful.

To some.  I never do this, and I don't think I ever would.  I really, really
like having one track per physical file.  Though, to be fair, maybe if I saw
it in action, I'd change my opinion.

> It seems to me you'd always be better off going back to
> the source material or decoding to PCM and just dealing with the minimal
> quality loss of a later encode.

I would personally much rather never have the possibility of treating logical
streams as separate tracks, if it meants I could get lossless Vorbis editing
in Audacity.

To each his own.  Hopefully there's a way both can happen.

Personally I use Vorbis in a radio station-like environment, where I'm
randomly choosing dozens of single tracks every hour from a hard drive full
of 1883 songs on 149 albums (all but four of which I personally own, BTW).
This is easy with perl and shell and ogg123, and would be much harder if
each album were a single file.

Of course, I'm producing my own oggs, so it doesn't matter what I think,
since I'm free to keep doing things my own way even if the rest of the world
switches to album-based oggfiles.  Such is the beauty of open source.

Just thought I'd weigh in before this thread completely devolves into "my
interpretation is better because it makes coding my personal project
easier/possible".

;-P

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
Man:	 What man?