[vorbis-dev] Bride of vorbisfile questions

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Sun Dec 14 22:18:08 PST 2003

I've been playing around with using ov_test and ov_test_open as an alternative
to ov_open in the xmms plugin's vorbis_check_file function. xmms never
bothers to cache the result of a file check, so it tends to happen rather a
lot. Unfortunately ov_test_open returns OV_EINVAL because ov_test seems to
have left vf->ready_state to OPEN rather than PARTOPEN.

I'm presuming this is a bug in libvorbisfile-1.0 - has it been fixed in 1.0.1?

On another matter, what would be the best way to find out if a given logical
stream is valid vorbis? ov_test and ov_open will fail if the first stream
isn't vorbis (bit of a pain, that, as subsequant streams could be vorbis. Not
way to work around it without abandoning libvorbisfile, I think). I've tried
checking for ov_info returning NULL on the remaining streams but it returns a
struct packed with nonsense anyway. Any better solutions?

Thanks,
John