[vorbis-dev] OggSplit 0.1.0

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at telia.com
Thu Aug 7 04:03:17 PDT 2003

In the spirit of this discussion, this mail is encoded in UTF-8 (I hope,
if sylpheed got it right :)

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:20:06 -0700 (PDT)
"Nathan I. Sharfi" <nisharfi at csupomona.edu> wrote:

> > These are just text files, so it's not really a show-stopper if they
> > aren't encoding-perfect. I unleashed a python script on some other
> > source archives, and for example xine uses the iso8859-1 encoding in
> > their AUTHORS file, ChangeLog and so on. I must question if the text
> > editor isn't to blame if it can't open such a file properly.
>
> I can't read the Fine Manual with the Usual Text Editor on this platform if
> it has your name in it in that encoding. However, this thing does has a vi,
> so...

Hmmm... may I ask what Fine Manuals you _can_ read? My private little
investigation showed that other project with contributions from
non-ASCII names listed the names encoded in iso8859-1.

In any case, I do like the idea of "One Charset To Rule Them All" as
someone put it, so I guess I'm going to have to put my money where my...
whatever, and use that charset. This will probably mean that most people
will read my name as Jägenstedt instead of Jägenstedt, but perhaps the
price my ego will have to pay. The next time I change something, I'll
have all the text files encoded in UTF-8.

There would however still be inconsitencies, as the man page and output
of the program isn't UTF-8 (there's no way I know of telling the OS what
the encoding of the output is, perhaps this can be done?). Anyone know
how to specify an encoding of a man-page? Again, it's just the 'ä' in my
name, so if I were less egocentric I could just remove my copyright
notices and that would no longer be a problem.

> emacs is capable--much to my surprise, I might add--of handling UTF-8.

Yeay! Can we have an editor war? "You, you filthy vi-user! All your
grammar highlighting are belong to us!"

Seriously though, you're right. I've now set emacs to use UTF-8 by
default (added "(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)" to my .emacs), and as I
would expect of my emacs operating system, it still understands when
something is iso8859-1 and displays and saves it correctly.

> > (I actually tried setting my locale to sv_SE.UTF8, but windowmanager
> > (fluxbox) was suddenly incapable of showing any text, so I guess UTF-8
> > isn't as widely supported as it should be yet.)
>
> Right. UTF-8 support on Linux is still...how to say...politely...emergent.
> I've noticed good support (read: on par with Windows 2000's) in XChat 2.0 (I
> suspect this is true of any gtk2 app), but GTK2 hasn't taken over the world.

Perhaps I should fix my window manager instead :) But then again, it
doesn't matter what my local charset is, I can still produce XHTML,
ChangeLogs and whatnot encoded with UTF-8.

// Philip Jägenstedt