[vorbis-dev] OggSplit 0.1.0

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at telia.com
Wed Aug 6 09:25:50 PDT 2003

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:48:19 +0200
Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <Tor-Einar_Jarnbjo at grosch-link.de> wrote:

> Onsdag, 6 august 2003, skrev du:
>
> >thing. I would like to be able to use my real name somehow :) In any
> >event, I guess UTF-8 makes some sense since the 'ä' will be something
> >else in a non-iso8859-1 charset anyway.
>
> ISO8859-1 is not really commonly used anymore. The obvious reason
> is, that it is not capable of representing the _ (euro currency sign)
> and almost all countries using ISO8859-1 introduced the new currency
> a few years back. Now, Windows is using its proprietary codepage,
> in Western Europe usually 1252, and most Unix-based operating systems
> have switched to UTF-8 as the default encoding.
>
> After ISO8859-1 has been used as a de facto standard for most text
> files for quite a long time, we are back to a state, where it is
> no more possible to use non-ASCII characters in a plain text file
> and expect it to be readable on all systems :-/

These are just text files, so it's not really a show-stopper if they
aren't encoding-perfect. I unleashed a python script on some other
source archives, and for example xine uses the iso8859-1 encoding in
their AUTHORS file, ChangeLog and so on. I must question if the text
editor isn't to blame if it can't open such a file properly.

In any case, UTF-8 also contains non-ASCII characters (all multi-byte
characters are built up of non-7-bit-bytes), so... well I'm just going
to leave the files as they are, since guesstimates tell me that way they
will be readable by most people that way... or at least emacs-users ;)

(I actually tried setting my locale to sv_SE.UTF8, but windowmanager
(fluxbox) was suddenly incapable of showing any text, so I guess UTF-8
isn't as widely supported as it should be yet.)

// Philip Jägenstedt