[vorbis-dev] OggSplit 0.1.0

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at telia.com
Wed Aug 6 02:44:38 PDT 2003

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 19:24:18 -0700 (PDT)
"Nathan I. Sharfi" <nisharfi at csupomona.edu> wrote:

> I couldn't read the README file with TextEdit.app on OS X; it seems to choke
> and sputter on the non-7-bit-ASCII chunk inside. As such, I had to patch it
> up with vim to UTF-8.

OK, thanks. I diffed the files and the sinner was the Swedish character
'ä' in my last name. If you can't see it in your locale, it's an a with
two dots above, pronounced similar to the `ai' in `fair'.

Generally speaking, should text files like these be limited to 7-bit
ASCII? Since it causes trouble with your application, it's certainly a
good idea... I'll write a python script to sift through some other
source archives to see how other people have dealt with this sort of
thing. I would like to be able to use my real name somehow :) In any
event, I guess UTF-8 makes some sense since the 'ä' will be something
else in a non-iso8859-1 charset anyway.

BTW, does this mean that the tool actually builds on OS X?

// Philip Jägenstedt