[vorbis-dev] Cross Platform Mixers and LibAO

Ben Rockwood benr at cuddletech.com
Sat Aug 2 14:15:41 PDT 2003

Hello Vorbis Developers.

  I'm in the proccess of writing an OggVorbis audio player using libao and
  libvorbisfile.  I've greatly appreciated the simplicity of the API and
  good documentation with the souce of the libraries.  I've descided that I really want a mixer on my player, and I'm unsure
  how to best go about it.  LibAO (unless I'm absolutely blind) doesn't
  provide mixer control, and looking at how other poeople have implemented
  their mixers tend to use a number of #ifdef'd mixer functions, one for
  OSS, one for ALSA, one for Solaris, etc.   I'm curious if anyone could suggest the best way to implement a mixer
   in a crossplatform manner that would best jive with libao.  I've like
   the player being simple yet still running on Solaris, Linux, and
   FreeBSD without problems, I'd hate to cludge it up if I can avoid it.
   At the moment I'm just using an OSS mixer, but am ready to re-write the
   mixer code.  Is it possibly that at some point in the future libao
   might include mixer functions?
  Any thoughts are appreciated.

  benr.

--
//Ben Rockwood - UNIX Systems Admin
//email: benr at cuddletech.com
//web: www.cuddletech.com
//-> We do what we can, We give what we have,
//-> Our doubt is our passion, and our passion is our task,
//-> The rest is the madness of Art.
//->   -Henry James