[vorbis-dev] float to PCM packing in libvorbisfile

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Wed Apr 30 17:56:44 PDT 2003

Is there any particular reason why ov_read() packs floats to integer PCM
inline, rather than being implemented in terms of ov_read_float() and a
separate packing fucntion?

There are obviously many advantages doing audio manipulation on the floats
before packing, but right now you have to reinvent the packing stage yourself
- in a replaygain backend that I'm working on, I ended up copying the packing
code from ov_read verbatim. Would a patch that split the packing out to a
separate function be considered for inclusion in a future libvorbis release?

John