[vorbis-dev] Skipping with vorbisfile playback using DirectSound

Borut Pfeifer borut at whiteknucklegames.com
Tue Sep 10 13:57:27 PDT 2002

I'm having a problem trying to write a simple vorbis file player using
DirectSound. The decoding portion is pretty much straight from the
vorbisfile sample code.  The pcm data gets put into one half of a
DirectSound buffer, and as that half is playing, the next half gets filled.
The problem is, there's skipping and some noise when the file is being
played (although some of the music is audible). Could this this caused by
the time spent decoding? Wav files work fine so I'm fairly certain it's not
the playback code itself. I've tried decoding various amounts at one time
but in each case the same thing occurs (although to different degrees).  Is
there something I can do to fix this without adding a separate decoding
thread (or is that going to be necessary)? Or could it be something else?

Thanks,
  Borut