[vorbis-dev] Carrying non-audio data in an Ogg/Vorbis I stream

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Tue Oct 29 10:24:36 PST 2002

Hello Tor-Einar,

Tuesday, October 29, 2002, 9:21:05 AM, you wrote:

TEJ> Tirsdag, 29 oktober 2002, skrev du:

>>I don't see why a demux plug-in must know what media is each stream.
>>But I don't know jack, so never mind.

TEJ> The Java Media Framework uses the content type returned by the
TEJ> demux plugin to find a suitable decoder for the actual content
TEJ> stream. A data source is not necessarily seekable, so it is not
TEJ> possible for the framework to try all available decoders, to see
TEJ> if any will "fit".
I don't quite understand. If the demux must return the content type,
it must know about all data type, or the file format must include an
explicit "type" field in the header of each stream. But then it either
must know all the mappings from "type" to "codec" or the codec must
know all it's magic numbers in different file formats. What am I
missing?

Thanks in advance,
Alejandro Belluscio