[vorbis-dev] Netiquette (was: Specifications) [OT]

Lourens Veen lourens at rainbowdesert.net
Sat Oct 19 06:34:26 PDT 2002

On Saturday 19 October 2002 15:05, Jaime Andrés Aranguren Cardona
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Everything seems to be lots clearer. I do think that it is
> important to have some sort of "culture" when using this kind of
> services for sharing of knowledge/experience/information. The
> only thing is that I didn't know the "rules".

I just found out that there's even a Netiquette RFC! Read here:
http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

> BTW, remember the link to the paper by Brandenburg, Sporer and
> Edler in
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/sanjaac/documentos.htm I'd
> like to know if it is being useful for the community.

Well, since it's also on Citeseer it's not absolutely necessary, but
having some redundancy is good. To answer your earlier question,
since this is a published article, the publisher probably has all
distribution rights (that's just how it works, the publisher gets
your article peer-reviewed and published, you give up all rights to
it). Publishers want to keep this monopoly, since it's their source
of income, so they don't allow others to distribute information.
AFAIK, Citeseer checks back at the site it got the article from
regularly, and will remove the article from its cache if it's no
longer available, sort of like the Google cache.

That said, it's not very likely that the publisher will sue you I
think.

Lourens

--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key