[vorbis-dev] Re: SBR

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Fri Oct 18 01:46:00 PDT 2002

> Pontus Carlsson <pontus at popwire.com> wrote:
> I apologize for being this ignorant, but I would be very pleased if
> someone would give me some reading about SBR (I'm not completely sure,
> but isn't this abbreviated from Spectral Band Replication?). I tried

I believe you got this right, however, I too have no idea how SBR really
works. All I know for my part is that it's one of the mothers of all
patented technologies and that it sounds often too "artificial" for my
ears.

However...

> I cannot comprehend. To mention one term; "artifact" - I don't have
> any clue about what it is when speaking about compressed music, other
> than that it could somehow be related to some crappy sound in some
> music file or something like that. :-)

... there's something I can be helpful with. :) The term "artifact" is
well defined and explained (at least when used near Ogg Vorbis). It's in
the first link on http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/docs.html - read
"Fidelity measurement and terminology discussion"
(http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/vorbis-fidelity.html).