[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar_Jarnbjo at grosch-link.de
Fri Oct 11 01:20:26 PDT 2002

Torsdag, 10 oktober 2002, skrev du:

>> The problem is, that I cannot use libvorbis for a project I am
working
>> on, and I made the mistake to invest quite a lot of time on developing

>> a new Vorbis decoder before I realized that it is not possible to
>> get it to a production quality level. I did indeed expect from Xiph
>> to take care about the correctnes of the specification when they
>> are distributing one.
>
>At this point, it's possibly your one reasonable expectation.  It's
>easier to appreciate help coming in from someone who isn't injecting
>"I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, you suck" between the lines.

And it is much easier to help, if you get the impression that the
help is appreciated. I stated in one of my first mails to this mail-
list, that the file format specification contained so many errors,
that it is not possible to use it as a basis for a new Vorbis implementation
(and you have to admit that is was not), and got an answer from you
in a tone like "hah, show me". I did, you corrected the errors I
reported in my two first mails, but the following three (from 23rd
September) didn't cause any action at all. I see now, that a few
things I pointed out are indeed corrected (although the last changed
date of the documents are before the 23rd), but there still are a
couple of things I pointed out, which are not yet changed.

>We're volunteers working our asses off to compete with the world's
>largest software companies on their own terms.

And with your attitude towards documentation and support, I honestly
(and I regret that) don't believe that you have a chance to do so.

>I handled each one when it came in.  Did I miss one somewhere?

Yes, several points in my mails from 23rd September.

>I'd
>rather fix it then spend time bowing, scraping and apologizing for
>inadvertantly dropping a piece of mail.

Actually I thought until today, that all three mails were dropped
and ignored. I see now, that some of the points I mentioned have
been changed in the documentation, but I relied on the "last changed"
date on the top of the documents and assumed that nothing had happened.

You should try it. It's more pleasing than when charging money for it.

Tor