[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Oct 10 06:17:02 PDT 2002

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:
> >Also, you're free to make/tune your own Vorbis encoder. :)
>
> How are you supposed to do that, as the file format is not correctly
> documented?

It's definitely documented, as others already pointed out. I can't judge
the quality of the documentation since I'm no programmer, however I've
seen numerous commits to the docs in CVS, and I heard that there's a
maintenance release coming up that deals (among other things) with bugs
in the documentation (no, I'm sure it won't deal with *all* bugs).

Anyways, this all is not the point. You are _free_ to do your own Vorbis
implementation. You are _not free_ to implement MP3, for example,
because you *will* infringe patents. And, what do you expect from Xiph?
I don't think their priorities are unreasonably set. Everything takes
time; this includes documenting something that has been in developement
for about 10 years.