[vorbis-dev] high frequencies response

Moritz Grimm gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Oct 10 04:33:03 PDT 2002

Frank Grotelueschen wrote:
> With this results, i think, it gives no profit to change from mp3(lame)
> to ogg. It is better to encode with lame and get bitrates round 192kbps.
> Since a long time i'am using lame 3.87 with parameters "-mj -V1 -b128 -F".

Offtopic: I highly recommend lame 3.92 and the --alt-preset switch
(--alt-preset standard (VBR, ~200kbps) or --alt-preset 192 (ABR)).

> For my ears, it sounds very ok with no audible artefacts and the frequencies
> response is flat.
> Ogg with at least quality 6 produces files with near the same filesize as
> lame (seetings above) or higher. So, there is no need to change to ogg.

At those quality settings and above, there's no quality based reason to
switch anywhere - even Xing starts to become transparent >= 192kbps on
most tunes. Below that, it's very much a listening preference. With 9
out of 10 tunes I prefer Vorbis' high frequency attenuation over MP3s
quirkyness (and that of any other Codec I've tried). At quality settings
resulting in bitrates of 112kbps and lower, I clearly prefer Vorbis over
anything else.

So, why switch when there's no audible gain or loss compared to
<insert_proprietary_codec_here> at those bitrates? You might get the
hint by now - it's about using a free Codec, legally, for any purpose
you like (not talking copyright violations here, that's something
different). It's about caring about your own and others freedoms.

It's also abour mere self-protection. Only with Ogg Vorbis you can be
sure that you're never infringing any patents, licenses, terms and
conditions, etc, either by accident or on purpose. (This paragraph may
be filed under FUD-style trolling, sorry.)

Also, you're free to make/tune your own Vorbis encoder. :)