[vorbis-dev] Carrying non-audio data in an Ogg/Vorbis I stream

Svante Seleborg svante at seleborg.pp.se
Mon Oct 28 13:36:55 PST 2002

Hi,

(snip)
>Great because they are working on close captioning (subtitles) and
>other data (i guess a thumbnail would be agood metadata).

I'll check that. Thanks.

(snip)
>Ok. So you want to add a new vorbis packet. You should talk to Monty.
>He's active in the theora mailing list. If you wanted to add a new ogg
>stream, the magin to decide whidh header is which data is being worked
>inthat project. That's why I supposed you should contact them.

I'll check with Monty. I want to add a new 'private' packet at some
level of the stream, probably at the Ogg level, but I want it to
be compatible with existing players. The contents of this should
be opaque.

(snip)
>-A meta-headerless Ogg file encapsulates the Vorbis I packets
>-The Ogg stream may be chained, i.e. contain multiple, contigous
>logical streams (links).
>-The Ogg stream must be unmultiplexed (only one stream, a Vorbis audio
>stream, per link).
>
>But is seems to imply that the player for 'Vorbis I audio file' should
>only expect vorbis streams. If you put them at the end. Well, may be
>the player only ate it after playing the music. But by putting it
>between, that's not only non compilant but downright unexpected.

Exactly. But the current best proposal is to simply concatenate a
non-vorbis Ogg-stream at the end.

Do you have any practical real-world knowledge how existing players
will actually interpret let's say a file consisting of three
separate Ogg-streams, the first and the third being Vorbis-streams,
and the middle one being 'unkown'?

/Svante